Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our Adoption story so far

Even before I got married, adoption was always something I wanted to do. After marriage, we decided to complete our family through adoption. All the adoption papers were duly filed, the documents sent, and the wait began. The waiting period for a baby girl in India is one year but we were told that for us it will take up to 2-3 years, as we already had a biological child. I was impatient. I wanted a baby, now! So I talked to a few people about private adoption. I basically started hoping for a mother to abandon her baby so I could complete my family. Soon, I heard that a three month old baby had been left at a local hospital. My husband’s friend was asked to check out and tell us about the formalities. But a couple of weeks later, I was told that the baby had been sent to an orphanage. I was surprised! We were ready-made parents, why were we not given the chance to adopt? The reason was really simple. My husband’s family had seen the baby. She was too dark for our family, according to them, so she was rejected. This incident was a rude awakening. I had become the child-greedy woman I so detested. In my blind thirst for a family, I had forgotten that there are no shortcuts to happiness. I needed to live this experience to better understand myself, my family and the society we live in. Although it was a personal failure, the lessons it taught me were worth the disappointment.

I am in it for the long haul now. No matter how long it takes 2, 3 or even 4 years - I will wait my turn.

8 comments:

a field of dreams said... Best Blogger Tips

I commend you for going down the path of adoptin. so many beautiful children need a good and happy home. I hope it all works out for you.

Damita said... Best Blogger Tips

Aw I think it's amazing you are doing adoption, you will have your baby soon :)

http://www.digital-damita.net

Maria said... Best Blogger Tips

Happy ICLW, C! Ah, the world of adoption.....it's such a new and fascinating place to me. But, also very confusing. We have yet to put our paperwork in, but we'll be in the "wait" at some point as well. Hopefully we can both smile and find joy in our lives during that time. :D

ICLW #38

Jo said... Best Blogger Tips

Here's hoping your wait is not nearly as long as you fear it might be.

Hugs,
Jo

Carmela said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for the sweet, sweet comment on my blog. I hope that your adoption wait is a short one. Thinking and praying for you.

Carmela
ICLW #123

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips

Praying for your adoption journey to go well. Happy ICLW!

#101

My New Normal said... Best Blogger Tips

Visiting from ICLW. Good luck on your adoption journey. No matter if it takes months or years, know that you will get the baby you were meant to have.

Stout Ranch said... Best Blogger Tips

Yet another road we travel together, sister! Our times will come. It is all aout waiting for the right situation and the right child for our home.
We were not able to adopt two children because their family did not like our way of life - they wanted us to move closer to town and get rid of two of our dogs. Somewhere out there is a child that will love our dogs!
It is a long road, much like IF with bumps and rutts and mountains to climb. Keep searching, you will find your child!
~C